Discussions

The Creative Industries are fading and are no guide for the post digital economy; the challenge is to identify the future models of work that will include a complete revision of the notion of “work” and for which we do not know yet how their monetisation will work. The EU needs to acknowledge the decisive role of culture and creativity for the future of Europe and needs to seriously invest into cultural research and development that implies the right to fail.

You need to be a member of Jamm'Europe to add comments!

Join Jamm'Europe

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Absolutely, meaning we have to look carefully at the figures that we are presented and what they mean in the daily reality of us artists and cultural actors.

• Isabelle Graw stated in her book The Big Prize (2008) that artists are the role model for neoliberals: independent, creative and with no social security.

• Indeed. Artists and the cultural sector have unwittingly quite often paved the way to the neoliberal paradigm. Being identified by these qualities "independent, creative and with no social security" they move to crumbling neighborhoods with cheap rent, transform them with their creative labor, and eventually drive themselves out of the neighborhood, as well as the original inhabitants, for the nouveau-rich move in.

Gentrification! 

• Hence, shouldn't we have to propose complementary measures or policies to correct a flawed direction that the actual policy of the EU is taking with regard to the creative economy based on overall assumptions that do not look into what's happening in society? 

• The following two images remind us of the contribution of the Cultural and Creative Industries to the economy, while also illustrating that many challenges persist and inequality is a topic also within the creative economy.

• Hello to all - Luciano: Do you also have data like the SACEM chart available for other EU countries?

• I am sorry, I didn't make it earlier. You google "income of artists" and you come across many links.

Find here below some links to data and the debate on artists income in the UK and the US. The US is interesting as Europe perceives the US as the heaven of commercial entertainment and hence as heaven for artists that work in the US.

From the US, an analysis on why the Spotify model is broken
      The real reason why the Spotify model is broken
      and some infographics on the same topic
      Business Insider: Here's how much musicians make online from Spotif...

This is a research among US musicians on their income
      How are musicians earning money? (US)

Now some links concerning the UK
      The link below is a summary report on a research from the UK,  including a link to the full report.
      DACS UK Artist salary research

Here a survey of 5'800 British designers, fine artists, illustrators and photographers
      Copyright contracts and earnings of visual creators

Here now the full article about the repartition of revenues by SACEM 2013 in France
      Le droit d’auteur ne fait vivre qu’une infime minorité d’artistes

Finally some international comparison in an article from The Guardian
      Artists’ low income and status are international issues

The real reason why the Spotify model is broken
      Streaming services, most notably Spotify, use what could be called a pari-mutuel royalty system: All the money collected goes into a big pool, Spotif…
    • Unfortunately not at hands, but I know it is a huge debate almost everywhere and in the past I came across such a discussion in the US as well. I will try to find the link to the US debate in the course of the afternoon.

• I would like to add a picture that shows the skills required nowadays and in the future from a changing economy listed by priority, which also proves the high relevance of creativity.

• Good afternoon everybody!
    To open up the discussion, we would like to provide some context to the challenges the EU and its economy are facing in the coming years, which can serve us as a guide.

The video "The Rise of the Machines – Why Automation is Different this Time" shows us, where innovation and productivity are heading to due to the digital revolution.

https://youtu.be/WSKi8HfcxEk

This reply was deleted.

What's going on

rv replied to Culture Action Europe's discussion Let's talk practice
"Márton HAJDU: promising this idea; we go back to the "how to spread", same way as other EU programs…"
Jul 12
Tamer Levent replied to Culture Action Europe's discussion Let's talk practice
"<p>Democracy is it self art.Think about art.İt is humans's biological way of to do something.Thinki…"
Jul 12
rv replied to Culture Action Europe's discussion Let's talk practice
"1. Debate was relevant. I meant to draw our attention to facts & figures, considering the total Ero…"
Jul 7
Luciano Gloor replied to Culture Action Europe's discussion Cooperate or corporate: can we offer alternatives for economic development & the future of work?
"I am sorry, I didn't make it earlier. You google "income of artists" and you come across many links…"
Jul 7
More…
Image 1